Exercise, It’s always interesting when a client asks me to pin down a single exercise as the one that will help lose the most fat or sculpt the quickest. I’m always slow to answer.
You see, I’m acutely aware of the fact that though an exercise may be perfect for Client A, it may not be the best choice for Client B—which makes me hesitant to label any exercise as the universal best.
That being said, there are exercises that are better than others. And, yes, there are even a few that I would label as the best.
What makes an exercise the best?
When deciding which exercises to include in your routine it is important to consider the type of movement involved. The simpler the movement, the fewer calories you’ll burn. On the other hand, the more complex the movement, the more calories you will burn.
Simply stated, exercises that use complex movements will deliver better results than exercises that use only simple movements. Complex movements recruit multiple muscles, some to stabilize and others to perform the movement. This process keeps your heart rate higher than a simple exercise would, giving you a more intense workout.
What is a complex movement?
A complex movement is a multi-joint movement that recruits large portions of the body to complete the exercise. Let’s compare a simple movement leg exercise with a complex movement leg exercise:
The leg extension machine uses a simple, isolated movement to work the quadriceps. You’re in a seated position moving only your knee joint. There isn’t much involvement, if any, from other muscles and it doesn’t burn very many calories.
Now let’s look at a free weight walking lunge. You start by standing with your feet together and a dumbbell in each hand at your sides (or a barbell across your shoulders, or a medicine ball held at your chest, or even with no weight at all). You take a large step forward and lower your back knee, keeping your front knee at a 90 degree angle. Now you push off your front foot and pull your back leg forward, repeating the movement.
How many muscles did you utilize while performing the lunge? Probably too many to count.
You certainly worked your quadriceps, gluteus, hamstrings, calves, abdominals, supporting muscles in your shoulders, arms and back—just to name a few. You also raised your heart rate and really kicked your metabolism into high gear. That’s what I call a great exercise.
Other ways to increase intensity
Using complex movements are just one of many ways to kick your workout intensity up a notch. Try incorporating a Super Set into your routine. To do so simply perform two or more exercises in a row and then take a short rest.
Or how about a Compound Set? Perform one exercise, rest, then perform an exercise with opposing body parts. To find exercises that compliment one another, choose ones that have similar but opposite motions such as a chest press and a row.
The key to finding the best exercise is to find the ones that bring your workout intensity to a whole new level.
I’d be shortchanging you if I named any exercise as the best. The fact of the matter is that it is a combination of changing your workouts up, using interval training, and even some good old cardio that will ultimately see you to your goal.
These methods will help you to burn more calories, increase your metabolic rate, and will stimulate the production of more fat burning and muscle toning hormones. Of course, there is more involved to achieving your fitness goals. You need to incorporate fat burning into your routine. You need to consistently challenge yourself during workouts. You need to take control of your eating habits and to get your diet dialed in.
So what’s the best exercise for you? Find out—hit reply to this email to schedule your no obligation fitness consultation.
Precision Fitness Placentia
1152 E Yorba Linda Blvd
7 ways to reduce body fat, Got body fat? Today I have 7 simple and effective ways for you to shed that unwanted body fat. While fat loss can be quite frustrating, these 7 strategies are proven to help you slim down fast.
1. Drink a Gallon of Water
Water is always a crucial element for proper bodily functions, and even more so when fat loss is your goal. The conversion of fat into energy takes place in your liver, and this process requires that you be well hydrated.
Drinking a gallon of water over the course of your day is a wonderful goal to aim for. This goal is easily met when you get into the habit of sipping water throughout the day, coupled with drinking a full glass before meals, upon waking and before bed.
2. Cut out Alcohol
This fat loss tip is always met with groans, but despite its unpopularity it remains one of the most effective. The first reason that alcohol should be cut out in order to lose fat is that it’s filled with empty calories. These are simple sugars that taste great but add up quickly as stored fat in all the wrong places.
The second reason that alcohol should be cut out is that the simple energy that your body derives from the alcohol will be used as energy long before your fat stores are tapped, making it impossible to reduce body fat on days when alcohol is consumed. That should be incentive enough for you to put down your glass and reach for some water.
7 ways to reduce body fat
3. Do a Variety of Aerobics
Variety is key when it comes to the aerobics side of your routine. Getting in calorie-burning activities is crucial to quickly eliminating fat stores. We no longer believe that long cardio sessions are the holy grail of fat loss – but getting your body moving with calorie-burning activities is a wonderful way to intensify your fat loss results.
The great thing about aerobic activities is that these can and should be fun! Hiking, biking, swimming, surfing, jogging, brisk walking – any activity that requires you to move your body for a decent duration of time and break a nice sweat in the process.
4. Cut out Processed Junk
This is one of the easiest ways to quickly and effectively reduce body fat, and yet it is met with such resistance. Why? Why is it so difficult for us to give up our packaged, processed snacks and treats? This is one obstacle that prevents most people from achieving the body that they want.
The best tip for successfully getting processed junk food out of your life is to have wholesome alternatives on hand while removing the junk food from your home. If you are a late night snacker, then be prepared by having fresh fruit, sliced veggies, plain Greek yogurt or other wholesome snack replacements on hand. When your belly is full of wholesome snacks, it’s hard to care too much about the processed junk you missed out on. And soon you’ll learn to love how lean and energetic these healthier foods make you feel.
5. Lift Weights
You might consider this to be pretty obvious, but many people are still resistant to the idea that resistance training leads to fat loss. If you find yourself puzzled by the idea that lifting heavy things will reduce the layer of fat on your body, then allow me to explain.
The act of lifting weights causes those targeted muscles to stimulate new muscle tissue growth. Now this doesn’t mean that your muscles are going to get noticeably larger (relax, ladies!) but it does mean that your muscle tissue will become tighter and more toned. The increase in muscle translates to a higher metabolism, which means that your body will naturally burn fat faster and more efficiently.
6. Use HIIT
High Intensity Interval Training is a method that has been quite popular in the past decade – and for good reason. This advanced form of aerobics, when done correctly, is one of the most effective methods for burning fat.
HIIT is achieved by performing short, intense burst of aerobic intervals between less intense bouts of aerobics. For example, 2 minutes of walking followed by a 30 second sprint, done for 20 minutes.
7. Work with a Fitness Professional
When your car needs new brakes, you take it the mechanic. When you wake up with a fever and sore throat, you go to the doctor. When your hair gets too long, you go to get it cut. When you need to reduce body fat, you…try to do it all on your own? That makes no sense.
Look, we all have our expertise, and we rely on each other when in need. My expertise is fat loss. When people in our community need a new and improved body they come to me. I’m passionate about getting my clients results, and my programs have been proven effective. 7 ways to reduce body fat.
Call or email me today to get started on a fat loss program that really works.
5 meals ready in 5 minutes, Most of us want to eat healthy – we really do – but a single detrimental factor gets in our way…we simply don’t have the time.
I get it, we all lead busy lives that leave very little extra time for healthy meal prep, but the alternative of fast food meals, frozen dinners and restaurant fare is making us lose in the battle of the bulge.
All too often I see people exercise hard everyday, and then flush their results away with irresponsible eating. Don’t let this be you!
To get you on the fast track to quick, healthy eating here are 5 healthy meals that take only 5 minutes to prepare:
Fast Meal #1: Traditional pancakes are filled with carbs, grains and a plethora of simple sugars – not something you’d consider healthy. In fact, eat pancakes regularly and you’ll find your fitness results quickly disappear. However, this simple, wholesome, 3-ingredient pancake recipe is the exception. It’s a pancake that you’re able to enjoy without guilt.
Here’s what you need:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons almond butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or ground cinnamon *optional
- Mash the bananas in a bowl (or blend in a food processor). Add the eggs, almond butter and flavor additions. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet. Lightly grease with coconut oil. Pour the batter in ¼ cup scoops.
- Once you see bubbles form, flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Serve with fresh fruit.
5 meals ready in 5 minutes
Fast Meal #2: Tuna is a wonderful fish that’s packed with muscle-building protein. However, most tuna salad recipes drowned out the benefits with a boatload of calorie-packed mayonnaise. Here’s a refreshing tuna salad recipe that, in addition to being quick to prepare, avoids the trap of high-calorie dressing.
Quick Tuna Salad
Here’s what you need:
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 2 green onions, tops only, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cans albacore tuna, in drained
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup red grapes, halved
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and serve immediately. I like to serve this salad in large butter lettuce leaves, or scooped onto avocado halves.
Fast Meal #3: Yogurt has often been advertized as a healthy, guilt-free snack or meal replacement. This always bothers me because I know just how many simple carbs and sugars most flavored yogurts contain. Many people are deceived into thinking that the creamy, fruit flavored snack will help them lose fat, while it does just the opposite. Here’s a recipe for a creamy, fruit flavored snack that is actually packed with protein and free of fattening sugars.
Creamy Protein Mousse
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup chopped fruit
- 1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk, full fat (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 frozen bananas, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup stevia-sweetened vanilla protein powder
1) Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Do NOT shake the can up at all! Carefully turn the can over and open from the bottom. Drain out the liquid and scoop the white cream into a food processor. Discard the liquid.
2) Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor. Blend on high until creamy. Enjoy chilled.
Fast Meal #4: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and not only because it’s the meal that breaks your overnight fast. What you decide to eat for breakfast sets the tone for the rest of your food decisions for the day. A donut or breakfast sandwich grabbed from a drive thru will set you up to eat junk for the rest of the day. On the other hand, a wholesome, nutritious breakfast will get you geared up to eat good-for-you foods all day long. This quick breakfast recipe is packed with amazing, natural flavor as well as protein-filled eggs to power your day.
Zucchini Egg Scramble
Here’s what you need:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 organic eggs
- In a small skillet place the olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, green onion, chives and rosemary. Cook until the zucchini is lightly browned on both sides.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and continue to cook, mixing, until the eggs are set. Remove from heat and enjoy immediately.
Fast Meal #5: I’ve saved the best for last, in this list of 5 Fast Meals. There was a time when most people would turn their nose up at the idea of a salad being a meal, but times are changing, and we are now more aware than ever how traditional meals are too heavy and lead to obesity. I’d like you to consider a ‘Everything Salad’ to be the perfect, quick and guilt-free meal. Sure, there are plenty of ways to take a salad and make it fattening, but that’s not what we want to do. By taking a big bowl of fresh greens and topping it with lean protein, colorful veggies and a light, homemade dressing – you’ve got yourself the perfect meal!
Here’s what you need:
- Dark leafy greens (spinach, arugula, kale)
- Lean protein (chicken, turkey, lamb, hard boiled egg)
- Colorful veggies, chopped (bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini)
- Fresh Herbs (basil, rosemary, oregano, mint)
- Homemade dressing (see recipe below)
- Raid your fridge for fresh, organic produce and lean, cooked protein. Add in some fresh veggies and chopped herbs and mix together with a simple, homemade dressing. There you have it, the perfect meal!
5 meals ready in 5 minutes, While eating the healthy, nutritious meals is awesome, don’t forget that exercise is half of the battle when it comes to getting and staying fit. Call or email me today and we will get you started on the exercise program that will reshape your body once and for all!
Precision Fitness Placentia
1152 E Yorba Linda
Depression is prevalent in more than 340 million people globally, regardless of age, sex, or ethnic background. The effects that depression brings to the victim and to the loved ones around him/her are just devastating. However, there is a simple and effective way to treat and prevent this mental disorder; Depression and exercise.
The connection of depression and exercise in improving quality of life and mood to those who are affected is up to one key factor; endorphins. Endorphins are chemical hormones created by the body when you engage in physical activity. These are the hormones that induce a positive, euphoric feeling. Have you ever heard of the “runner’s high”? This hormone is the explanation behind it.
Regular exercise also acts as a analgesic and a sedative; a pain reliever. Your body also will not be dependent on this active hormone like you would with medicinal treatment Along with warding off bad feelings, depression and exercise also are connected by improvement of the following areas: reduced stress, less anxiety, improve sleep, and boosting self-esteem.
Fast & Free slimming secrets, You’ve heard all the hype the gimmicks, the mystical ancient tricks that are supposed to be your shortcuts to lasting weight loss success… if only it were that easy, right?
1) Drink plenty of fluids. Did you know that 74% of adults are dehydrated? This can slow metabolism 3-5% and keep the pounds on. Another reason the drink plenty of fluids is that 37% of people can confuse thirst for hunger. So drink plenty of fluids and you will have healthy energy and help your body flush out toxins feel fuller and help your metabolism too.
2) Eat protein: Protein is a key way to help keep blood sugars levels and keep from getting hungry. But not all protein is created equal. A quality meal replacement protein shake can help you build and maintain muscle. The tri sorb protein in Visalus go to: www.myvi90x.bodybyvi.com for more information.
More Fast & Free slimming secrets include:
3) Eat fruits and vegetables: Did you know that 83% of adults don’t get enough vegetables? These are critical to losing weight as they fill you up provide healthy antioxidant and fiber and are low in calories. You eat more and weigh less by adding fruits and vegetables to your diet.
4) Avoid the color beige: Did you know foods tend to be high in carbohydrates and calories, but low in nutrition? Bread, rice and pasta may taste great, but they can add up to more calories and more fat. One cup of refried beans can be 500 calories! You could eat almost 10 servings of fruit and vegetables and still not reach 500 calories. So avoid beige add color to your plate and you’ll lose weight!
Stay tunes for more Fast & Free slimming tips
Weight loss, Are you lost and just do not know how to start your path on to succeeding a healthy-goal orientated life style? Well, here are some simple, yet important tips to start incorporating in your daily schedule to become more closer to reaching your weight loss goals:
1) Eat a lean protein at every meal (every 2-3 hours) Lean proteins include meats/foods that are high in protein, and low in fat content: Chicken breast, Fish (tilapia, salmon, tuna), hard-boiled eggs, and red meats (sirloin, filet; remember trim off the fat!!). Avoid excess fats for increased weight loss.
Precision Fitness Placentia
2) Eat a filling breakfast (eat like a King in the morning, and a peasant in the evening). This will help kick-start your metabolism for the day, which will greatly assist your goal for weight loss. You want to start off your day fulfilled to have energy to expend throughout the time you are awake and working. During the day, you don’t want go starving nor stuff yourself either, so keep meals or snacks planned 2-3 hours apart to keep your body satisfied and fully functional. As
3)Downsize your serving dishes (eat enough so you can eat again in 2-3 hours). Again, justifying what was said in commandment #2, have small serving size meals/snacks around 5-6 times a day to avoid bulging, and to keep your metabolism processes working in your body.
4) Weight loss involves eating more vegetables (and not always dipping them in ranch or cooking them with). Find creative ways to make your vegetables delicious without having to eat them with some sort of fat. Such as: roasting/oven baking vegetables (light olive oil drizzle with light seasoning), boiling (w/ seasoning of preference). Try to keep it light on the salt, but pepper is great.
5) Stay hydrated!! This is very important. Your body made up of 75% water. Almost all reactions that occur in the body need water. One water bottle wont be enough! Carry a refillable water container, or even a gallon jug to have water easily accessible by the day. More processes, more weight loss.
6) Sleep well (Atleast for 6 hours a day). Weight loss strives on a well-rested and energized for the upcoming day. For 1)so you can avoid poor dietary choices you might make while being sleep deprived (sugary coffee, bag of chips, fast food, etc.) 2) So you will have a balance in your hunger hormone Leptin (decrease hunger) and Ghrelin (increase hunger).
7) Avoid sugar and refined foods. Foods high in sugar and are processed will most likely be non-nutritious. These foods will probably also be high in calorie, so therefore be detrimental to your goals. It would be best to cook your own food at home. Weight Loss! not weight gain!
8) Exercise moderate – high intensity on hour per day, for 5 days a week. Weight loss begins with consistency. Try to balance out your time, incorporating a 1 hour exercise regimen in your schedule. Try a variety of exercises to get your heart rate up (running, sprinting, weight lifting, jogging, dance class) Don’t be afraid to break a sweat and breathe hard! Remember, over time it doesn’t get easier, your body just gets stronger. If you can’t shoot up to an hour, try 30 minutes first. Have your work out gear ready t0 go in your car to avoid a trip back home. Weight loss
Weight loss secrets to reaching your 90 day weight loss & fitness goals:
1) Consume a healthy diet for your goal and use proper supplements that are safe and effective. This is what I reccommend to any one serious about reaching their 90 day goal: www.myvi90x.bodybyvi.com
2) A well balanced exercise program with primary focus on strength training is vital because strength training builds muscle, for muscle = increased fat burning and keeps you strong.
A well balanced program should also include: Functional training, cardiovascular training, and mobilty training. The key is to find the correct amount of each one you need and then challenge yourself so you continue to make progress and work your butt off, hard work will always pay off.
Contact Stewart for a FREE assesment and one week of training 714-883-8940
3) NEVER GIVE UP!! Focus on your goal and why you want it. The stronger your why, the more likely you are to reach it.
Once you have the proper diet and supplements for your goals and the correct exercise balance, NEVER GIVE UP until you reach you goal and don’t let anyone or anything stop you!!
Weight loss is really not secret
It’s not to late to sign up for Precision Fitness Placentia’s, ULTIMATE 90 DAY GOAL CHALLENGE.
Call 714-883-8940 today and sign up for FREE
Precision Fitness Placentia
1152 E Yorba Linda Blvd
Full body training on Tuesday at 6pm, combines strength, functional, cardiovascular and mobility training.
Full body training at Precision Fitness Placentia give you the personalized attention in a small group setting, so space is limited you must RSVP 714-883-8940 try it out for FREE!
What make this program so special and different than most program out there is we base the program on the 4 pillars of human movement.
Full body training at Precision Fitness Placentia you will get FAT burning will get the benefits of Strength building you will increase your ability to move, but also reduce injuries.
Give Full body training a try, call 714-883-8940 for next Tuesday class!!
This Saturday, May 10th at 8:30 AM Precision Fitness will be having a FREE Cardio Kickboxing and Fun Fit Camp! It is open to the public, so feel free to bring anyone you would like! The class is about an hour long, and is guaranteed to make you sweat!
There is a reason we include cardio kickboxing in this workout routine. Cardio is very important to include in any strength routine, because it speeds up fast loss. There are also many other benefits to cardio kickboxing, which include:
- increased energy
- fat loss
- faster muscle tone
- increased strength and flexibility
- stress relief
- works EVERY part of the body
- it’s FUN!
We will also work in some fun dance moves in this class! It will be challenging, but we always have a lot of fun. The Fun Fit Camp is great healthy way to start your morning, and not to mention it’s FREE! Bring a friend!
1152 E Yorba Linda Blvd, Placentia
Get ready for Plank Day!
When: Wednesday, April 30th
Where: Precision Fitness Placentia
The top woman/man will win prizes for planking! The plank is an excellent exercise for many reasons. Planking works the core, which is an extremely important group of muscles that provide stability to the entire body. Start practicing your planking! You can practice anywhere, anytime. They only take a couple minutes to do!